Skip to main content.

Say "yes"...

posted by pilgrim

pilgrim
Say "yes"... 1 of 1
March 17, 2024, 4:26 p.m.

[Credit for this writing goes to an Anonymous Player]

Years ago, I came across a brilliantly written post about an adapted version of say “yes” or roll the dice’, which is a concept from a tabletop game called Dogs of the Vineyard (which I haven’t actually played). I don’t remember where I read it and frustratingly, I can’t find it.

The basic premise of the original is this: say ‘yes’ until there’s conflict, then roll the dice. Obviously this is a MUD and not tabletop, and the advice is really meant for storytellers, but it has become one of my main roleplaying tenets that I really try to follow. I’m wary of mentioning improv after the Great Debate of ’24, but the basic improv concept of ‘say “yes, and…?”’ is not a million miles away.

Saying “yes” doesn’t always mean agreeing. It doesn’t mean character physically saying “yes”, or avoiding conflict. It means interacting with a situation:

Somebody is trying to pick a fight with you. Saying “yes” could mean fighting with them, but it could also mean calling in a friend to help, or trying to reason with them. Saying “no” would be running away.

An argument is taking place.  Saying “yes” means joining in the argument, offering a counter to the argument, supporting either side, or even just watching from the sidelines. Saying “no” would be refusing to be drawn in, or ignoring somebody.

You have just learned some information.  Saying “yes” is sharing the information even with a select few. Saying “no” is keeping it to yourself.

Stories come from saying “yes” but rarely come from saying “no.”  Involving people in stories helps them to grow, shutting them out often does nothing. There might be very compelling reasons why your character might run away or not interact, but doing that can rob you both of an opportunity to develop the both the story and your character. Sure, you can do it and you can even justify it in character but…why would you want to?

March 17, 2024, 4:26 p.m.