Skip to main content.

Lifestyle and asking around

posted by Esfandiar

Esfandiar
Lifestyle and asking around 1 of 5
Jan. 22, 2024, 6:38 p.m.

Hi! In the helpfile about lifestyle it mentions you can find out about someone's typical activities by asking around about them. Is this the same as eavesdropping or investigating them? I know I read about how to do eavesdrop and what skills it uses but I can't remember where anymore...  

If you wanted to, say, inquire of the vNPC crew of the ship about someone's daily routine, what syntax would you use? Thx. 

Jan. 22, 2024, 6:38 p.m.
pilgrim
Re: Lifestyle and asking around 2 of 5
Jan. 23, 2024, 9:09 a.m.

Sorry it's taking me so long to respond to this, let me quickly explain why: there's a bit of a glitch in this command right now thanks to a couple recent changes and I'm working on fixing it before I give you the syntax -- but there are just a big pile of bug reports that I end up poring through first. I'll post here again when it's settled though.

Jan. 23, 2024, 9:09 a.m.
Esfandiar
Re: Lifestyle and asking around 3 of 5
Jan. 23, 2024, 10 a.m.

No rush!! heart

Jan. 23, 2024, 10 a.m.
pilgrim
Re: Lifestyle and asking around 4 of 5
Jan. 27, 2024, 7:19 p.m.

Alright! I've finally fixed this glitch, and ... taken even longer to come here and post about it, but here's the answer:

INQUIRE ABOUT REPUTATION OF <person>

It's a particularly clunky command so if you have ideas regarding a better command, I'm all ears (eyes?). Right now INQUIRE ABOUT <person> gives you information on that person's recent activities rather than their whole zone reputation profile, which is why it can't work for the zone reputation profile that includes lifestyle, lodgings, job, etc.

Jan. 27, 2024, 7:19 p.m.
Rivaz
Re: Lifestyle and asking around 5 of 5
Jan. 27, 2024, 7:28 p.m.

I think if the system parses the following groups as synonymous with one another:
INQUIRE ABOUT <PERSON>
INQUIRE <PERSON>

and

INQUIRE ABOUT REPUTATION OF <PERSON>
INQUIRE REPUTATION <PERSON>
INQUIRE REP <PERSON>

Then you'll still have the intuitive-enough "ask about guy" without forcing folks to type quite so much if they'd prefer something shorter?

There's really no getting around clunkiness without just cutting 'about' and 'of' out. I dunno how the game parses, like, anything, though. So maybe there's a reason not to.

Jan. 27, 2024, 7:28 p.m.