Skip to main content.

Questions About the Alpha Ship

posted by Jahzat

Jahzat
Questions About the Alpha Ship 1 of 3
Jan. 25, 2024, 5:56 p.m.

(Apologies if this is the wrong place to ask this, I couldn't figure out a better one....)

I've been digging around the posts and wiki and stuff while preparing a first story arc premise, and my research has left me with just one burning question:

What's the price of this particular trip? Is it something you'd need to save for or be wealthy to afford, or can anyone with two coins to rub together book passage?

And follow up: is the answer a typical fee? If not, what's special about this trip?

(I know we don't have to actually pay with game currency for this trip, but it's something I want to work into my story premise.)

Jan. 25, 2024, 5:56 p.m.
pilgrim
Re: Questions About the Alpha Ship 2 of 3
Jan. 25, 2024, 6:14 p.m.

It'd be pretty cheap! This is not fancy travel by any means. The price per passenger is probably something like 8 dirhams (800 copper value), which is the cost of like a middling-quality longsword. A poor person living paycheck to paycheck might need to save for a few months to afford it, but for a rich person it'd be pocket change. That said, it's not necessary for your story that you paid! Maybe you're a stowaway. Or maybe someone paid, but it wasn't you. Or maybe you were hired as crew, either temporarily or long-term.

Jan. 25, 2024, 6:14 p.m.
Jahzat
Questions About the Alpha Ship 1 of 3
Jan. 25, 2024, 6:25 p.m.

It'd be pretty cheap! This is not fancy travel by any means. The price per passenger is probably something like 8 dirhams (800 copper value), which is the cost of like a middling-quality longsword. A poor person living paycheck to paycheck might need to save for a few months to afford it, but for a rich person it'd be pocket change. That said, it's not necessary for your story that you paid! Maybe you're a stowaway. Or maybe someone paid, but it wasn't you. Or maybe you were hired as crew, either temporarily or long-term.

originally written by pilgrim at 25-Jan-2024 (23:14)

Thank you, that's super helpful! Especially the cost comparisons. And yeah, how (and if) he legitimately booked passage is exactly the thing I'm working out. xD

Jan. 25, 2024, 6:25 p.m.