Skip to main content.

Appending Logs to Story Developments

posted by Esfandiar

Esfandiar
Appending Logs to Story Developments 1 of 3
Feb. 5, 2024, 4:29 p.m.

I only just learned that you can rename logs and that this makes them available to attach to story developments... oops! 

So far I haven't really pursued this in part because the relevant parts of the log may be only 20 minutes of play out of 4 hours in the log, and I frankly don't expect an admin to sort through all that looking for the relevant portions.

So, is there a way to trim logs for the purposes of attaching them to story developments? Could there be?

I realize there might be concerns about things being removed that change the meaning or obscure important facts or something, but I really struggle to believe that the admins want to read all of my standing around and making unrelated small talk to find the part where I had a brief high stakes interaction. 😬

Feb. 5, 2024, 4:29 p.m.
Zahra
Re: Appending Logs to Story Developments 2 of 3
Feb. 5, 2024, 4:48 p.m.

You CAN split your logs (check out HELP LOGS). But it has to be done from in-game and (as I have learned), you can only edit your active log. So let's say you had a log from three days ago you wanted to split, you'd have to combine all your logs up to that day and then start splitting them back down into the sections you wanted.

Pilgrim has mentioned that getting a better way to edit logs is on the To Do list. 

For now, I think the best practice would be to fire off 'log new' when you're RPing if you think it might end up being a high stakes interaction. I... never... remember to do this. I just slap whole logs onto my story developments... because uh. I'm terrible.

Feb. 5, 2024, 4:48 p.m.
pilgrim
Re: Appending Logs to Story Developments 3 of 3
Feb. 5, 2024, 5:50 p.m.

To be honest I just kind of ctrl+f in logs if I have to find something -- but we really do need better log editing tools. For now it's fine to attach whole logs. I also don't think that every time staff address a story they would have to read every log attached, but the attached logs might be helpful to verify something or look up the exact wording of something or whatever else.

Feb. 5, 2024, 5:50 p.m.