Skip to main content.

Return to the Faded Zone

posted by Firouzeh

Firouzeh
Return to the Faded Zone 1 of 6
Jan. 22, 2024, 10:59 p.m.

I think it would be fantastic if there was a mechanic that allowed us to return to the Faded Zone... possibly by falling into a deep sleep of some kind? A few times I have found myself missing the freedom of having a place to fiddle around with things that would not make IC sense. 

Jan. 22, 2024, 10:59 p.m.
pilgrim
Re: Return to the Faded Zone 2 of 6
Jan. 23, 2024, 3:21 a.m.

I wouldn't be against having this as a feature in some way -- the Otherland is definitely part of the world's lore, and it is accessible already in some mysterious ways. However, making a method to just go there to test mechanics in a more out-of-character capacity -- that will probably have to wait until we work through the current pile of bugs. I really like the idea though.

Jan. 23, 2024, 3:21 a.m.
Esfandiar
Re: Return to the Faded Zone 3 of 6
Jan. 23, 2024, 9:58 a.m.

Perhaps an option to log in to a randomly generated "guest" character who is confined to the Faded Zone and destroyed on exit? Would that be an issue for security or logging?

Jan. 23, 2024, 9:58 a.m.
pilgrim
Re: Return to the Faded Zone 4 of 6
Jan. 23, 2024, 10:08 a.m.

I just had an idea related to this for like... a special zone, kind of like the Faded Zone but more specifically OOC -- where you could log into a randomly-generated archetype, have a ton of stat swaps, and be able to load in from a selection of common items to test with. It'd be like an arena testing zone, and people wouldn't participate in it with their own characters. I like this idea better because one of the issues with the Faded Zone was being OOC with your PC and potentially revealing secret things about them to others or just making your character accessible to others' attention when maybe you don't want them to be.

But yeah, I would definitely have to deal with a bunch of current bugs for developer time to be spent on making that. It wouldn't be too hard to set up using existic features though.

Jan. 23, 2024, 10:08 a.m.
Nai
Re: Return to the Faded Zone 5 of 6
Jan. 23, 2024, 5:26 p.m.

I made a thread without realizing this was already recommended, but I second this. As much as I love the roleplay on the ship, there aren't many mechanical things to test while here, and I really want to test out the medical/herbalism systems.

Jan. 23, 2024, 5:26 p.m.
Belhajj
Re: Return to the Faded Zone 6 of 6
Jan. 25, 2024, 7:53 a.m.

I also made something very similar to this as an idea. The central desire is a place to test things without worrying about junkin' it up for viewers or breaking immersion.

If the faded zone serves a Lore purpose, keeping flavorful and mysterious ways of getting there flavorful and mysterious makes sense. A purely OOC test-lair would be super useful! 

Jan. 25, 2024, 7:53 a.m.