Skip to main content.

Shared Story Arcs

posted by Khaled

Khaled
Shared Story Arcs 1 of 3
Jan. 23, 2024, 10:42 p.m.

It would be awesome if two characters could share story arcs and both see them in their lists. This would be when they have common goals or some such maybe?

Jan. 23, 2024, 10:42 p.m.
pilgrim
Re: Shared Story Arcs 2 of 3
Jan. 24, 2024, 8:40 a.m.

While this is an interesting idea, I'm not sure I want to implement it. I haven't talked to Mistsparrow about this yet but I think we'd probably be in agreement here.

Even for extremely-close characters who are relatively "of one mind", I don't know that sharing story arcs would be genuinely helpful in the long run. It would become codedly impossible to have any secret of any type from that character while making the secret relevant to the story arc and relevant to observing staff, as the player would literally see all your attached roleplay logs. My anticipation is that what would happen is that there would be a shared story arc, and then each character would be also maintaining their own side story arc about this arc. This would pretty much happen as soon as the story became sufficiently complex and involved for either character to develop a secret from the other, whether accidental or intentional.

What I do recommend for extremely-close characters is to set up COHABITATION, and frequently send plot notes to each other! You can log those plot notes and add them to your own stories. 

Even between human beings who are supernaturally connected to each other, we'd expect to sometimes see the normal turbulence of human relationships -- anything from worries about health ("Bob went to the market yesterday and didn't come back! Is he okay?") to doubts, suspicions, feelings of betrayal, feelings of insecurity ("Does Bob not love me anymore? He's awfully interested in that model train set, instead of me..."), secrets, even small lies ("Yeah Bob that flannel shirt looks great on you! No gut at all!") -- these tiny nuances and tensions can make stories interesting. 

I would even say that the stories of developing dynamics and ongoing dynamics, with all the mini-tensions they might contain, are even more important between extremely-close characters than they would be for strangers! So, I don't think we will put in anything that could flatten this dynamic. Mistsparrow might disagree with me, but we'll see!

Jan. 24, 2024, 8:40 a.m.
Khaled
Re: Shared Story Arcs 3 of 3
Jan. 24, 2024, 1:44 p.m.

Oh I had no clue about cohabitation, I think that's great actually!

Thanks for the answer Pilgrim. :)

Jan. 24, 2024, 1:44 p.m.